Training is not compulsory, but is a great an option for athletes to improve their skills and confidence in the events that athletes will compete in on the weekend. Training activities include both track and field events; normally focussing on the events for the coming weekend’s competition.
Training days depend on the age group, club and type of training. We currently have the following different training options for members of a Melville Little Athletics Club or Seniors:
- Under 6 – Under 10
- Under 11 and over
- Middle distance training
There are also some specialist training squads that train at Melville and surrounding areas. Please see the Athletics West “Find a coach” page for more details.
When attending training:
- Athletes Under 9 and under must have an adult responsible for them in attendance at the training location
- Parents and Athletes (>16 years) must register their attendance at training using the SafeWA app or sign the attendance register.
- Athletes must wear appropriate sports clothing and enclosed shoes. If using spikes, they must also have cross trainers for warm-up and cool down
- Athletes must inform the coach of any recent injury, as well as any current physical discomfort (no matter how slight it may be)
- Athletes are to stay with their group until the end of the session and must inform their coach if they need to leave the group for any reason (eg toilet or drink break)
- During throws training all equipment must remain on the ground until it is the athlete’s turn to throw or unless directed by the coach